Matched Betting On Football: How Does It Work?

September 5, 2017 5 min to read

Have you heard of Matched Betting before?

Either way, we’re here to give you a quick round up of all you need to know about claiming all the free bets offered by bookmakers.

Yes, this matched betting guide will teach you how to squeeze all that you can out of bookmakers in the right and legal way.

The thing is that if you had to click on either Bet365 or Bovada right now you will see the word free bets and bonuses almost everywhere.

Bookmakers promote events to the registered punters and use these words as bait. This is not a negative thing if used in the right way, hence Matched betting.

Matches betting on football will guarantee any bettor a 95% chance of the free bet amount as profit. The other 5% is used by betting exchanges as part of their commission on winnings.

In this article, our main aim is to first outline the basic rules of matched betting. Secondly how it works and lastly how you can make more money by using matched betting.

We understand that this may seem like a bleak subject but after this matched betting guide you will have a better understanding of how punters alike have maximised their betting bankroll when betting on football.

The betting industry is long as it is wide and as any successful gambler will tell you, the tips of the trade are often right in front of your face. You just need to take the time to read the fine print.

matched betting on football

What Is Matched Betting?

Matched betting is the form in which bookmakers openly give away money in two ways:

  1. Free Bonuses
  2. Free Bets

A match bet involves having your finger in more than one pie and placing multiple bets to trigger as many offers as you can.

We suggest you place more than one bet to reduce the risk from your end. So for example, a bookmaker like Bet365 has a promotion that is giving away £10 if you bet £10 on the Premier League.

If the odds are high value that you will place a bet on player A to win and then play a lay bet ( bet against) player A with another bookmaker like Betfair. Resulting in your original £10 to be returned and receiving your £10 bonus from the initial bookmaker.

So to summarise:

  1. Place a bet with a bookmaker that offers a free bet
  2. Place a bet on against the first bet with a different bookmaker

This will allow you to cover all potential outcomes whilst eliminating the risk, and lock in a profit irrespective of the final result.

Most promotions which are floated around bookmaker are targeted to new customers, so if you want to keep benefiting from free bets you will need to sign up with more than one bookmaker. Thankfully there are a plenty of great bookmakers to sign up to.

Is Matched Betting Legal?

Yes, matched betting is 100% legal.

All you need is registered account and eye out for any upcoming promotions.

Another advantage is that most punters who place bets regularly are still unfamiliar about this betting strategy. This means that you will have the upper hand and be able to make more money from even the smallest bets.

How Much Can You Make From Matched Betting?

To sum up, what we already know, matched betting is where two bookmakers are pitted against one another with the end result of a profit.

The outcomes of both bets are predicted and vary distinctly. However, the end result is that of a profit.

This leads us to the next question: how much can you make from matched betting?

It varies.

There many variables which will come into play, such as how much money you place, which sport you bet on, which bookmakers you place the bets with and most importantly how much time you dedicate to matched betting. However, you can always refer a betting guide to help you on your next bet.

matched betting for football

What Do You Need to Place A Matched Bet?

In order to benefit from sign up bonuses, free bets and any reload offers you will need to first place a qualifying bet in football market.

A qualifying bet is your key to any promotions, meaning you are eligible to place a bet for any offer.

What we recommended first is to read the fine print before placing any money online. Be sure that you know how much you must place on a specific betting market and the odds required.

When match betting you should make your bets on outcomes with close back and lay odds, which enables you to reduce your qualifying losses and maximise profits.

Back the outcome with the chosen bookmaker and lay on the exchange. Keep in mind that you should :

  1. Find closely priced back and lay odds
  2. Place at high odds to enhance your profit (depending on your bankroll)

This way you will extract as much possible profit from any bookmaker bonus as possible. It’s also worth your while to understand how bookmakers make their commission from every bet you place.

Do You Need To Be A Pro Punter To Use Match Betting?

No, not at all.

The great thing about match betting is that you don’t even need a strong interest in the actual sport, although that’s always a plus.

Match betting is all about following the instructions and reading anything about the specific bonus or promotion.

The truth is that match betting is one of the easiest ways to make money online when sports betting especially when betting on football.

The amount of time you spend sifting through bets, promotions and bookmakers will directly correlate with a number of profits that you make. This can also mean that if done carefully and gradually, you could make a living from gambling and earn an hourly wage.

matched betting on football


We hope this matched betting guide on football has given you a better insight into this profit hacking betting strategy.

Using matched betting in your future bets makes perfect sense because it eliminates a great percentage of you losing money. What matched betting does require however is time to oversee the current promotions and bonuses from different bookmakers.

Here at Alpha Sports Betting do our best provide punters will all of the latest promotions and offers at the leading bookmakers. In order to keep up to date with all of the current promotions just sign up for our emails to learn more today.

Author photo


Adam is long time Manchester United fan but admits that he has a few international favourite teams which he looks forward to watching and betting on for international events like the World Cup


Be the winner you were always meant to be.

Get $250 to Bet On Sports if you Sign Up With ASB!
Get $250 to Bet On Sports if you Sign Up With ASB!